McSherry & Hudson has been in business for over 100 years. One principle has stayed consistent, our commitment to providing the best service and advice for our clients so that they can protect and grow their business for future generations.
The oldest of 5 brothers, Eugene McSherry, was forced to quit college while attending Stanford University and return to Watsonville due to the death of his father in 1911. His father had a small business which included insurance, notary public service, and a bookkeeping service which had been started in 1905.
While at Stanford, Gene roomed with Fred R. Hudson, a Watsonville native born in 1890. Fred graduated from Stanford in 1913, majoring in business with an emphasis on insurance. One of his instructors was instrumental in writing the first workers’ compensation law that the state legislature put into law on July 1, 1913.
After Fred had graduated he came to Watsonville to help Gene McSherry with the new law requirements and a working partnership began. Fred began to provide workers’ compensation for many of the Pajaro Valley business.
He told of sitting on the front porch of the Mansion House on Main St. with clients, writing up policies to meet the yearly deadline. A “special agent” (salesperson) from one of the insurance companies was on hand to sign the policies.
McSherry & Hudson became a business center providing not only insurance, bookkeeping, and notary public services, but also real estate appraising, fresh fruit brokerage, and apple packing supply sales.
Today McSherry & Hudson provides insurance and surety services throughout California.
McSherry & Hudson has been ingrained in Central and Northern California for well over a century, continuing to form relationships built on trust, knowledge, and sound advice. Here is to the next 100 years.